Muses Thrown

Matthew's rants and raves about music, movies, and live shows

11 November 2006

An introduction to Muses Thrown

Why the name? A heartfelt tribute to one of my all-time favorite bands, Throwing Muses. And, it just sounds cool!

Why I'm blogging. I love music. And, though I don't see enough of them, I also love movies. Except, when I don't love either of them. The point is, I'm critical, and I'm always walking around composing reviews in my head. So have finally decided to get it out of my head and out where other people can comment on it, tell me they agree, or tell me I'm full of shit and why. Also a place for me to record impressions of live shows I attend.

For whom. I anticipate three different audiences (real or imagined) for this blog. One, the most important, other fans (and critics?) of the same artists and movies that I'll be writing about in here. I don't kid myself there'll be many of you at first (or ever?) but hopefully I'll attract some attention from folks who have googled or searched this blog provider for some of those artist/movie names. Two, obviously, my friends and family. (Not to imply y'all are less important than audience #1, just that I know most of you don't share my taste in music!). and, Three, the occasional gay man from BigMuscle.com who wanders over here via my link on that site to see what I've got to say about tunes.

Content. Some of the posts you can expect to read will include: reviews of every new CD I buy. Over time, reviews of older CDs that I love. End-of-year lists. "All-time favorite" lists. Reviews and other musings about live shows. Reviews of movies, both new and old. And, every now and then, a "current rotation" list of new songs I've been listening to a lot.

Necessary caveats. I don't have the resources to purchase even a third of the music I'd like to. Any opinions about music I express in here are hardly "definitive." You'll never catch me using words like "the best" in my lists, since that would imply I'd sampled the full range available. And I still feel a bit sheepish about the idea of offering up my "favorites", for the same reason - the sample size is already small. If I only bought 20 CDs this year, how much cream am I really skimming off the top to tell you what my favorite 10 were? Regardless, this is all hand-waving - perhaps an obvious answer to question #2 above is that I'm also writing this for myself. But hope some others listen in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home